lørdag 23. januar 2016

M42, the never ending story

I guess M42 is the most imaged object in the skies. But there is a reason for that. It contains details and colours like almost no other object. And it is HUGE! You can image almost any field surrounding this nebula, and you will find more nebulosity. I have seen tight crops taken with long focal length telescopes, and wide field taken with short telelenses. They are all filled with beautiful nebulosity.
My latest take on this beautiful object is from my many nights under Moroccan skies the first two weeks of January this year. I had rented a William Optics 132FLT and had brought my own field flattener/reducer that I use for my own 98FLT. With that in place, I got a focal length of approximately 740mm give or take. Giving a slightly tight field of view.
I collected photons for several nights, totalling approximately 10 hours 30 minutes in 63 subexposures. In addition to 1 minute exposures for the central parts and 5 second exposures for the Trapezium.
I love the details I was able to extraxt from such a long exposure. My previous attempt only had 1 hour of exposure, and naturally, it lacked a lot. This version I absolutely loved working on!
I will probably make new attempts at processing this image at a later stage, but it is obvious from this short processing run that there is a lot to be extracted if I take the time. Click on the image for a larger version to enjoy the colours and the details!

Tech Details : Pentax K5, ISO 640, William Optics 132FLT w/ WO AFR-IV flattener/reducer (=F/5.6), on a 10Micron GM2000HPS mount. Guiding with QHY5-II with PHD2. 63x10 min exposures for the main parts, 70x1 min for the central parts and 70x5sec for the trapezium. Stacked in DSS, processed in FitsWork, PS and IrfanView.


Did a new processing of the image. Better color and details around the trapezium and, to me at least, a better color balance overall. Also decided to flip it "the right way" as seen from the Earth.


3 kommentarer: