tirsdag 25. mars 2014

The Iris nebula

While reading up on which objects to shoot at first chance I got this Monday night, I came across an object I had briefly heard of. The Iris nebula. I jotted down the details on a piece of paper I brought with med to Bysætermosan outside of Oslo. A reasonably dark place that many amateurs use for observation and astrophoto. While waiting for the Markarian Chain to get into position, I decided to try and shoot the Iris. A couple of other guys where there that evening, and we looked at a number of nice objects through an 8" cass. The skies where surprisingly sharp. The air was dry, and the atmosphere was steady. I got 55 usable exposures of 1 min length. Stacked them, and did some processing afterwards. It is obvious that this nebula needs darker skies and longer esposure. The nebula was in the direction of Oslo, and was bathed in "yellow hell". But I managed to wringe out some photons that make out some of the nebula, and its darker surroundings.
Tech details : Pentax K5, ISO 1600, 55x1 min unguided exposures, TPO Ritchey-Chretien w/ AP CCD067 reducer (F/6). Stacked in DSS, processed in PS and Irfanview.


Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar