torsdag 5. mars 2015

Rosette nebula with new gear

The total solar eclipse of 2015 is coming up, and I'm going to Svalbard to watch it. So, I needed some new gear that would be easy to bring on a plane. I ended up buying a complete new set of everything. A Berlebach wooden tripod, a SkyWatcher Star Adventurer, and the crown jewel of the pack : A William Optics ZenithStar 71mm f/4.9 5-element flatfield apochromat. As always with WO : Beautiful piece of art and engineering.
The weather has been terrible for astronomy this season. Mostly cloudy or partly cloudy. And if there has been any opening in the clouds, it has been for a short while. On wednesday, the clouds finally departed, and I got a chance to try the setup out for a short while. before the clouds came pulling in again. I opted for the Rosette nebula. The Star Adventurer without autoguider was able to give me up to 30 sec exposures without star trails. I could probably have gone a bit higher, but I settled for that. I managed to collect about two hours of exposures. Some of the frames had to be discarded due to clouds, and some due to satellite tracks or airplanes crossing the line of sight. In the end, I had about 1h45m of imaging data. I tried pulling out as much as possible. Not the best result, for sure. But it is OK for testing the telescope and the tracking performance.

Tech details : Pentax K5, ISO 1600, Astronomic CLS filter, WO Zenithstar 71mm F/4.9, Skywatcher Star Adventurer. Stacked in DSS, processed in Maxim, PS and Irfanview.

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar